Part-time Lecturer and Course Convenor - ACDI & Environmental and Geographical Science (EGS)
The African Climate and Development Initiative (ACDI) and Department of Environmental and Geographical Science (EGS) at UCT is seeking to appoint a convenor/lecturer for the interdisciplinary MSc/MPhil in Climate Change and Sustainable Development, that is convened by the ACDI, and hosted academically by EGS.
The Lecturer/Convenor will teach on, and manage academic and administrative aspects of the MSc/MPhil, specifically, academic oversight of the students, teaching, supervision of Master’s dissertations and administrative tasks related to the ACDI MSc/MPhil, and contribute to the evolution of the overarching curriculum of the course.
The post-holder will work closely with the graduate teaching coordination team in EGS, with the Director and Deputy Director of ACDI, the ACDI Education and Capacity Building Portfolio Team, and with the ACDI network members to ensure that students are integrated into both EGS academic processes, as well as ACDI research and supervision opportunities.
This is a part-time (50%) three-year contract position at the Lecturer level, with the possibility of extension, subject to funding being available.
- A PhD degree, in relevant subject related to climate change
- Some teaching experience and supervision of student projects at Honours and/or Master’s level • Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in an academic administrative role
- Teaching on climate change and/or development issues
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality research publications
- Course convening, departmental and faculty administrative duties
- Periodic review and updating of the curriculum
- Teaching and examining courses in the ACDI MSc/MPhil
- Supervising MSc/MPhil student dissertations
- MSc/MPhil student academic and pastoral monitoring and support
Cost of Employment:
The 2018 annual cost of employment, including benefits (where applicable), is between R239 104 and R319 924.
For informal enquiries about the position, please contact Prof Mark New (email@example.com).
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Vathiswa Mbangi at firstname.lastname@example.org :
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- A letter of motivation - Curriculum Vitae (CV) - A statement (no more than 2 pages) of your accomplished research and future plans
- A statement (no more than 2 pages) of your teaching approach
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Reference number: E17293 Closing date: 26 January 2018
Additional information on ACDI and UCT can be found at:
Telephone: 021 650 3003 Website: www.acdi.uct.ac.za
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. For this post we seek particularly to attract black South African candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.